Jews in Space - Father and Son - killed by US machines
Ramon carried a pencil sketch, "Moon Landscape", drawn by 14-year-old Petr Ginz,
who died in Auschwitz. Ramon also took with him a microfiche copy of the Torah
(from the Holocaust) given to him by Israeli president Moshe Katsav. Ramon asked
the 1939 Club, a Holocaust survivor organization in Los Angeles, for a symbol of
the Holocaust to take into outer space with him. A barbed wire Mezuzah by San
Francisco Artist Aimee Golant was selected. Ramon also took with him a dollar of
the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem M. Schneerson.
In 1981 he was the youngest pilot taking part in the bombing of Iraq's
unfinished Osiraq nuclear reactor (Operation Opera) killing ten Iraqi soldiers
and one French researcher.
* Yom Kippur War (1973)
* Operation Peace of the Galilee (1982)
* F-16 1,000 Flight Hours (1992).
* Asteroid 51828 Ilanramon
* Ramon Hill, in Columbia Hills, Mars
* Ramon Hall, in the Columbia Village apartments, Florida Institute of Technology
* Ilan Ramon youth physics center, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheba, Israel
* Ramon Control Tower, Ben-Gurion Airport, Israel
* Ilan Ramon Elementary School, Netanya, Israel
* Ramon Elementary School, Modi'in, Israel
* Ramon High school, Hod Hasharon, Israel
* Ilan Ramon Junior High, Kokhav Ya'ir, Israel
* Ilan Ramon Boulevard, Vaughan, Ontario
* Ramon Park, Givat Shmuel, Israel
* Ilan Ramon Park, space-themed playground in Beersheba, Israel
* Ilan Ramon AZA #380 in Boulder, CO & Ilan Ramon BBYO #5378 in Oviedo, Florida
* Ilan Ramon Crescent in Cote St. Luc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
* Ilan Ramon Avenue in Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
He flew aboard STS-107, logging 15 days, 22 hours and 20 minutes in space.
He also gathered rabbinic opinions from the local Chabad-Lubavitch
representative Rabbi Zvi Konikov, about observing the Jewish Sabbath (Shabbat)
while in space, since the period between sunrises in orbit is approximately 90
Ramon and the rest of the Columbia crew died over East Texas in the Southern
United States during entry into Earth's atmosphere, 16 minutes prior to
His son followed his father’s path and died in a USA-made machineThe Israeli military says the son of an Israeli astronaut killed in the Columbia space shuttle disaster six years ago has been killed in the crash of his F-16 warplane. Military officials identified the pilot killed on a routine flight over the West Bank as Asaf Ramon, son of Israel’s first astronaut, Ilan Ramon.
Asaf Ramon, aged 20, was killed in a training accident.
Asaf Ramon, 21, who was killed on Sunday when his fighter jet crashed near Hebron.
Asaf Ramon's aircraft crashed near the settlement of Bnei Haver
F-16A Crash 13/9/09